Arguendo and Dixi have been residents of Austin, TX for most of 20+ years. We have tons of pictures from our time spent here and continue to take pictures around town. Here we plan on showing a picture each day. We hope you enjoy it and thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Brown-Dumas Blacksmith Shop

From the plaque:

At the turn of the 20th century, the Brown-Dumas Blacksmith Shop was an integral part of Austin's thriving commercial core, where dirt streets and horses and buggies dominated the scene. Built circa 1905, the Brown-Dumas Blacksmith Shop is the only remaining structure of its era near this important intersection of Congress Avenue and West 2nd Street (originally known as Live Oak Street). The Austonian developer recognized the significance of this early brick commercial structure and resolved to incorporate it into the high-rise condominium tower.

The blacksmith shop was in serious disrepair when acquired in 2006 and restoration of the building was to be no small feat. Having stood vacant, abandoned and vandalized for many years, only portions of the buildings perimeter walls remained intact and the roof framing was caved in. Prior to the start of the preservation effort, the fragile and damaged structure collapsed during one of Austin's extreme wind storms in November 2006. Following the collapse, it was necessary to disassemble the building entirely, document the historic components, and store the materials offsite.

The Austonian remained true to their commitment to restore the facade. Plans were drawn up to reconstruct the historic storefront at the base of the new tower, using original materials and recreating the remains of the original signage found on the brick. As a result, the historic Brown-Dumas facade will live on as a reminder of the scale and construction of early 20th century buildings in downtown Austin.

From Arguendo & Dixi's Daily Austin Photo


No comments:

Post a Comment